Mixture of marble and modernity in this Portland mansion for sale at $2.8 million
From the street, a sleek two-story home in Portland Height features dramatic matte black walls in front of towering vertical cedar boxes. Interrupting the rectangular mass, tall windows offer no clue as to what’s inside.
Open the front door concealed by stone walls to discover a structure full of surprises: a gold leaf ceiling and Venetian plaster walls mixed with brass railings and crocodile-textured wallpaper.
“Furniture can be minimalist or moody,” says Elliott Moore of Cascade Sotheby’s International Realty, which has listed the 0.69-acre custom home at 2808 Southwest Patton Lane for $2,799,999.
Moore likens the fusion of classic and modern — like crystal chandeliers and leather-wrapped light fixtures — to the mod-glam style championed by Los Angeles designer Kelly Wearstler, whose colorful and playful pastiche interiors are theatrical and widely admired.
Wearstler, the fashion judge of Bravo’s “Top Design” contest, wrote in his fourth book, “Rhapsody“, that the mix of antiques, vintage and contemporary furniture and art leads to a more “moving” interior.
The spaces in the Portland Heights home share Wearstler’s bold approach to merging textures and time periods.
Here, surfaces covered in Italian marble go beyond the stair treads. The same white marble with dark veins covers the kitchen countertops, island top and sides, and the butler’s pantry backsplashes, range hood and sink. The master suite has a marble vanity and tub walls.
Step out through a glass back door to a covered patio with white marble flooring and treetop views.
The home, built in 2011, has four bedrooms, three bathrooms, a powder room and 4,350 square feet of living space, which includes a guest bedroom with a private entrance.
The workshop, attached to the six-car garage, could be converted into a home theater, Moore says.
— Janet Eastman | 503-294-4072
Learn about the Portland and Oregon real estate market:
• Newlywed Bruce Springsteen partied at this Oregon house for sale
• Architect John Storrs’ mid-century modern home for sale in Hillsdale’s legendary ‘Storrs Quadrant’
• Mid-Century Modern Architecture House Tour and Book Fair supports Oregon’s preservation work
• Mid-Century Modern architect William Fletcher’s first Portland home is up for sale for the first time
• Three levels, big views, seven deals in one week: Portland architect’s home for sale for the first time
• Buy mansions in Boring, where there is “more for the price”
• Two Pearl District townhouses in the old train station are for sale, starting at $1,575,000
• Oregon’s “Terrible Tilly” lighthouse on a private island for sale for $6.5 million
• Portland’s huge mansions for sale: what kind of homes with space can you get for $8 million or less?
• Oregon’s best-known baker, Ken Forkish, is selling a southwest Portland home with a bread oven